How to Feel Like You’re In Athens In 5 Easy Steps
- by XpatAthens
- Sunday, 03 May 2020
Affected by lengthy lockdowns, most of us would rather be somewhere else right now! However, until traveling for pleasure becomes a possibility again, thisisathens.org has made a list of activities that will infuse your home with Athenian character.
2. Whip Up A Freddo
- Put a medium-sized empty metal container such as a bar shaker in the freezer, preferably metal.
- Run 2 short espresso doses into a cup, add sugar as desired, and set aside.
- Pour milk into the cold metal container till it's half full. Add a couple of ice cubes if the milk or the container isn't cold enough.
- Use a small handheld mixer to beat the milk and if you don't have a mixer, use a makeshift shaker and shake till your arm hurts and set aside.
3. Cook A Greek Dish
4. Soak Up Athens Street Art
Get acquainted with the most passionate mavericks putting their mark on the city with thisisathens.org's Athens Street Art slideshow. And if you are more of a classicist, take a tour of Robert McCabe's beautiful vintage photography collection of Athens in the fifties, set against some pretty mighty ancient monuments.
5. Watch A Greek Cinema Classic
If you want to travel away to happier times mentally, embark on a celluloid journey with Greek national superstar Melina Mercouri across a swinging sixties Athens in Never on Sunday. In this all-time classic feel-good movie, a free-spirited prostitute named Ilya meets an American tourist named Homer. This award-winning movie placed both the port of Piraeus and Melina Mercouri on the world map, and it's also said to have inspired the then First Lady Jackie Kennedy to travel to Athens–as it will you!
For even more ways to feel like you're in Greece, please visit: thisisathens.org