How To Get Vaccinated For COVID-19 In Greece
- by XpatAthens
- Monday, 19 April 2021
If you're a non Greek citizen currently living in Greece, you may not need to return to your home country to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
Whether you are a Greek citizen or not, this guide will help you to check your eligibility (based on the current phase of vaccinations in Greece) and plan your appointment.
Important note --> a Greek Social Security Number known as AMKA is required to get vaccinated. Greek authorities advise individuals who don't already have an AMKA number to apply for one immediately. Learn more about how to obtain this social security number here.
How To Check Your Vaccination Eligibility
There are 3 ways to check if you are eligible to be vaccinated during the current phase of vaccinations in Greece.
1.Visit The Online Platform
Visit emvolio.gov.gr and fill in the form using your AMKA number and your Last Name or Greek VAT Number, click submit to instantly check your eligibility. The platform is currently only available in Greek, so we recommend that you download the Google Chrome browser which offers real time translation for web pages. Alternatively, have a friend who speaks Greek help you out with using the website; thankfully the process is straightforward.
2. Send An SMS To 13034
Check if you belong to a priority group by sending a text message to 13034. The body of the message should read as follows: AMKA <space> Surname. You will immediately receive a text message informing you whether you are eligible to be vaccinated based on the prioritization system of the national vaccination program. If you are eligible you can schedule your appointment by visiting emvolio.gov.gr
3. Receive An Automated SMS
If you are already registered to the paperless medical prescription platform you will automatically receive an SMS message on your mobile phone from 13034 to notify you about your eligibility and a pre-booked vaccination appointment. The text message will include your appointment number, the date and time of vaccination, and the recommended vaccination center. Vaccination centers are selected based on your postal code.
How To Schedule Your Vaccination Appointment
If by using the process described above you find that you're eligible for vaccination, you can schedule your appointment in one of the following ways:
1. Online Using Your TAXISnet Credentials
TAXISnet credentials are needed for accessing several Greek Government electronic services. If you are registered on TAXISnet you can use your credentials on the appointment page and log in using your username and password. Keep in mind that you may need to confirm your details (mobile phone number, e-mail, postcode) before accessing the booking system, where you'll be able to schedule both doses of the vaccine. Once the booking is complete you will receive an appointment number and QR Code along with all the appointment details for dose 1 and dose 2. Please note that you will need your appointment number or QR code on the day of your vaccination, so keep the information safe.
2. At A Local Pharmacy Or KEP
If you are unable to use the online platform emvolio.gov.gr you can book your vaccination appointment at a local pharmacy or KEP (Kentro Eksipiretisis Politon - Central Services for Citizens). People with mobility problems can also book their appointment through a representative holding the required documents, namely AMKA, mobile phone number, and a photocopy of the applicant's ID card. Once the booking is complete you will receive an appointment number and QR Code along with all the appointment details.
3. Auto-Scheduled Appointment For Paperless Prescription Users
If you have already registered to the paperles prescription platform (website in Greek only), then you will receive an SMS from 13034, notifying you that your priority/age group is currently being vaccinated along with a pre-booked appointment for your vaccination. The text message will include your appointment number, the date and time of vaccination, and the suggested vaccination center. Vaccination centers are selected based on the postal code you stated on ehealth.gov.gr. For more informtion about paperless prescriptions click here.
How To Confirm Your Appointment
You have the opportunity to confirm your pre-booked appointment within 120 hours. To confirm the pre-booked, you can do one of the following:
a. Send the appointment number via text message (SMS) to 13034.
b. Go to the emvolio.gov.gr/app platform and use your TAXISnet credentials to log in and confirm your appointment.
Note: If you do not confirm your appointment within 120 hours, the pre-booking will be released and you will have to schedule a new appointment later through the emvolio.gov.gr/app platform.
Important Additional Information
1. You will not be able to choose which vaccine you receive.
2. To get information about your scheduled appointment (date and time, vaccination center) you can send an SMS to 13034 with the appointment code or your AMKA and surname (AMKA <space> Surname).
3. In any case, you will receive 3 additional three automated SMS reminders of your appointment – 3 days before your appointment, 1 day before your appointment, and at 7 am on the day of your appointment.
4. Three days before your appointment you will receive an SMS and email with the exact hour and date and a link with information about preparation and guidelines before the vaccination.
5. You can change your appointment once up to 72 hours before your scheduled appointment.
6. Vaccinations are carried out at 1018 centers and designated hospitals around the country.
7. Have your appointment number or QR code and your ID card or passport with you at the vaccination center. Before your vaccination, you have to answer a questionnaire.
8. You will be given a digital vaccination certificate which is intended for personal use.
9. The vaccine is optional, but necessary to protect ourselves and our fellow human beings.
10. Continue to wear a mask and keep a safe distance for as long as necessary.
Sourced and translated from the official Greek website: emvolio.gov.gr