Open Air Cinemas In Athens
- by XpatAthens
- Tuesday, 07 June 2022
Nothing defines Greek summer as much as open-air cinemas do; in fact, almost every Athenian neighborhood has an outdoor cinema, or 'therinos' as they are called in Greek.
Some summer cinemas in Athens offer extraordinary views of the Acropolis; others are surrounded by fragrant gardens that fill the air with the sweet scent of jasmine and orange blossoms while others are right next to the sea.
The decades-old tradition of open-air cinemas is still alive and kicking, in fact, there are more than 60 outdoor cinemas in the Attica region alone. Open-air cinemas are a great summer outing for the young and old alike; there you'll sip on an ice-cold beer, enjoy an ice cream or snack and smoke a cigarette without being told off.
- Movies are not dubbed and will be subtitled in Greek
- There are usually two movie screenings, one at 21:00 and another at 23:00
- It's best to purchase your tickets ~20 minutes ahead of time to avoid a long queue
- Seats at open-air cinemas are not numbered, you can sit wherever you like
- Most cinemas have a bar where you can order snacks and drinks
- Most cinemas have intermissions
Iconic Open-Air Cinemas in Athens
Address: 7 Apostolou Pavlou, Thission
Telephone: 210 34 20 864
A favorite among locals, this cinema is located in the upscale area of Kolonaki and has been in operation for many years.
Why We Like It: After the screening, you can enjoy a nightcap in one of the area's high-end bars.
Located inside the historic Zappion Garden, Aegli is the oldest summer cinema in Athens and has been in operation since 1903.
Why We Like It: Its old-world charm, verdant garden, and delicious snacks.