Athens Transportation Ticket System - What You Need To Know
- by XpatAthens
- Tuesday, 31 October 2017
The Ath.ena Ticket - Paper and rechargeable. Can be bought at every Athens transport ticket office or on the automatic ticket machines. Rechargeable at ticket offices and automatic ticket machines.
The personalized Ath.ena Card — Plastic and rechargeable w/ card holder’s photo and name. Can be bought from certain Athens transport ticket offices. You can recharge your personalized Ath.ena Card at Athens transport ticket offices, automatic ticket machines, as well as online through a phone or tablet with NFC technology.
The anonymous Ath.ena Card - Plastic and rechargeable. Can be bought from every Athens Transport ticket office. Rechargeable at ticket offices and automatic ticket machines.
After October 30th, passengers wishing to avoid the long lines may apply for a Personalized Ath.ena Card and receive it at home. To do so, the following documents are needed:
- Recent photo, the same type as those used for Greek passports or Greek police IDs
- A photocopy of an official document showing their AMKA health insurance number
- A photocopy of their current OASA-issued transport card along with the current paid coupon for October, or a previous month within 2017
- A printout of their online application and QR code issued through the Urban Transport Organisation (OASA) Site: www.athenacard.gr
On the unsealed envelope, you must include your name and address of preference (home, work) where the e-card should be sent. Please include the postal code. Envelope can be dropped off at any subway station during hours of service.
Please click HERE for more information on how to use the new electronic ticket/card system.
- Getting to/from Athens International Airport
- City buses and trolleys
- Athens Metro
- Athens Tram
- Athens Suburban Railway