The Best Sour Cream Substitute? Greek Yogurt
- by XpatAthens
- Friday, 20 February 2015
Are you having a hard time finding sour cream in Athens? Well, you can stop looking. It turns out that the best sour cream substitute, Greek yogurt, is by far the most versatile of dairy products. It is ideal to use in all types of cooking. You can use Greek yogurt to also replace cream, mayonnaise or cream cheese. You can use it cold for dips, to mix through salads, pasta or potato for a creamy finish, in ice creams or you can add it to hot meals.
Greek yogurt is an ideal yogurt for cooking as it can stand high heat without curdling. It is available in no fat, low fat and extra creamy, so there will be one to suit your needs.
Here are some suggestions for using Greek yogurt in your meals.
Makes Soups Creamy
• Chicken or vegetable soup, once cooked and blended, warm soup, remove from heat. Stand for 2-3 minutes. Stir yogurt through the soup, just long enough to warm through, then remove and serve.
• For dishes such as Beef Stroganoff, add it just at the end, stir through, then serve.
Cold Pasta Dishes
• You can use it in cold pasta salads, cooked pasta, tinned or freshly cooked fish, ham bacon or cooked chicken, diced red & green peppers, tomatoes, parsley, stir through yogurt or combination of mayonnaise and yogurt, salt and pepper to taste.
• Alternative dressing, yogurt, mayonnaise, seeded/grainy mustard, herbs – chives, parsley, etc, mix together. Add a little water if you prefer it runnier. Mix through pasta.
Hot Pasta Dishes
• Add yogurt as a sour cream substitute to the pasta sauce just before the end. Finish cooking the sauce, turn off the heat, add the yogurt and stir through until just warm. Remove and serve.
For more, please visit Ultimate Guide to Greek Food