Bettany Hughes's Athens
Bettany Hughes, the British historian and broadcaster, reveals here favourite attractions, hotels and restaurants in Athens. Why Athens? Athens is my spiritual home. I spent hours walking its streets while researching a book about Socrates, who described the city as his "psyche". It's steeped in history, and full of archaeological treasures. And for all Greece's current woes, in a strange kind of way, drama, tragedy and high politics have always been part and parcel of the city's make-up.
Anything special I should pack?
This might not be very original, but a good pair of shoes. Because so much of Athens has been pedestrianised the city is made for walking. Plus a scarf – it can be windy.
What's the first thing you do?
I go straight to the Acropolis, and walk around the base of the rock. I sit with the Acropolis at my back and think about the city's extraordinary history over the last 3,500 years.
Where would you send a first-time visitor?
The New Acropolis Museum which has a glass floor allowing you to see through to the excavations below: a real layer cake of Greek history. In short, it's an archaeological site and museum wrapped in one.
What should I avoid?
Watch your handbag around the central railway station. That said, for all the troubling television images you might have seen in recent months, I've walked the streets late at night and never had any trouble.
What should I bring home?
Some honey – Greek honey is the best in the world. The bee has been worshipped in Greece for centuries so honey-makers are given the respect they deserve.
Author: York Membery
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
- Don’t Multitask: Your Brain Will Thank You The ability to juggle work is a standard job requirement....
- Interview With Fashion Designer Vivianna Maravegias Sunday, 19th October at 19:00, Artlinks presents a fashio...
- Antikythera Exosuit Takes First Dive The famous exosuit finally took its first dive today, at ...
- Meet Athens’ Answer To Carrie Bradshaw … New Yorker and debut novelist Marissa Tejada is the kind ...
- 2015 Clinton Global Initiative To Take Place In Greece During the 10th Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting,...
- Interview With Victoria Hislop Global best-selling scribe and grecophile Victoria Hislop...