Greek Researchers to Lecture at International Conference on Masks
Researcher, Fine Artist & Designer Magda Roussi and Author & Journalist Dr. Petros Κasimatis, have been selected to give lectures at the festival project entitled: CHOREA IBEROAMERICANA, CREATING WORLD THROUGH DANCE (2011-2013). The 2-year project, taking place in Krakow, Poland, is dedicated to Afro-Ibero-American dance festivals, and includes a series of lectures, exhibitions and events.
The first unit of the project, focused on the cultural aspects of masks, will be held on 17,18 & 19 February 2012, interestingly timed at the borderline of Carnival and Lent. The idea of the exhibition and the conference is embodied in its title "Mask: Covering and Uncovering Between Essence, East and West".
The aim of the conference is to show the anthropological motivations in producing and wearing masks in different cultures, including their form and usage. The are at least three decisive factors leading to the usage of masks:
1. The need to hide identity (the Venetians mask)
2. The need to show or present identity (the African mask)
3. The need to multiply identity (the Japanese Noh theatre mask)
These and others will be examined in the hope of better understanding human nature.
Magda Roussi | Lecture: “The mask of Ancient Greek Drama” plus a mask exhibition
Dr. Petros Κasimatis | Lecture: "The Mask of Politician"
Their participation includes a mask exhibition and radio coverage of the conference by KanaliEna 90.4FM (Piraeus) for Greece, who is also a Sponsor of Communications – www.kanaliena.gr
Polish Society of Anthropology of Dance, Krakow
The Cervantes Institute, Krakow
The Seweryn Udziela Ethnographic Museum in Krakow
The events will take place at The Cervantes Institute, Krakow. The coordinator of exhibition and conference author & curator Dr Wiesna Mond-Kozłowska.
For more information, please contact:
+30 210 4132019
Source: The Cervantes Institute
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Greek-Australian Businessmen Donate To Cultural Centre Greek-Australian businessmen and members of the Greek com...
- Singer Nana Mouskouri To Perform In Toronto World-famous Greek singer Nana Mouskouri will perform at ...
- 'Classical Greece' Concert At The Kennedy Center Washington, D.C.'s John F. Kennedy Center is holding a "C...
- Greek-Egyptian Exhibition Culture At NYU An exhibition examining the complex interactions between ...
- Greek Film Festival Back In New York This year’s New York City Greek Film Festival will be hel...
- Singers Kokotas and Xarchakos Perform In Carnegie Hall Stavros Xarchakos and Stamatis Kokotas performed in the G...