An easy and quick Greek recipe that is tasty and seasonal.
3 large leeks sliced into thin discs
4 - 6 green onions sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup long grain rice
½ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup of chopped parsley
4 garlic cloves, pressed/minced
1 heaping tablespoon full of dried Greek oregano
2 ½ cups of water
Salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a pot over a medium heat.
2. Add the leeks and onions to the oil stir well and sauté until soft (cover the pot for 3 -5 minutes).
3. Add the rice and sauté for 2 more minutes mixing well to coat the rice with oil.
4. Add garlic, pine nuts and parsley to the pot, mix and heat through for another minute.
5. Add seasonings and gradually add 2 cups of water in stages, stir/shake pot to thoroughly incorporate.
6. Once all the water has been added and the pot’s contents brought to a boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and cover the pot to simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Periodically uncover the pot and give the contents a stir/shake. At the 5-minute mark, uncover the pot, give the contents a stir and, if necessary, add the remaining ½ cup of water. Cover and finish cooking.
8. When the cooking has elapsed, leaving the pot covered, remove it from the heat and set it aside to stand for 10 minutes.
9. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with a lemon wedge.
Makes 4 servings
Total preparation time:
Kali Orexi! Bon Appetit!
Author: Sam Sotiropoulos
Prasorizo - Leeks and Rice (Πρασόρυζο)
Many of you are likely already familiar with the Greek dish, Spanakorizo (spinach and rice), but how many of you have tried Prasorizo? Leeks have been a part of the Greek pantry for millenia. In ancient Greece, there were leek growing competitions and the largest specimens were awarded as offerings to the gods. The fresh green onions and garlic are excellent complements to the leeks in this dish as they are all part of the genus Allium. This dish is vegan and fast-friendly. Feta cheese also goes well with this dish, whether on the side, or crumbled over top as a finishing touch.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
- Greek Food: Herbs and Spices This is one of the easiest pages to write because Greek c...
- Mushroom and Sausage Risotto A quick and very easy risotto recipe, ideal for mid-week ...
- Tudor Hall “Goes Raw” With an emphasis on fresh ingredients, Tudor Hall restaur...
- The Wonders Of Parsley If your restaurant plate is garnished with an herb, it’s ...
- Quick Wholemeal Bread With Yoghurt Αn amazing bread with a delicious, crunchy crust. You wil...
- Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie) The secret to my spanakopita is 3 kinds of onion - red on...