Guitar Soloist James Kolanian at the Benaki
The program includes compositions by JS Bach, A. Barrios, M. Giuliani, L. and A. Brower Lauro. Iakovos Kolanian, a well-known international guitarist, with numerous performances in Greece and abroad, ranks among the most prominent artists of his generation. Always attended with interest by the public, his interpretations, driven by vision and faith, often form a bridge between classical music and the music traditions of the world.
Iakovos Kolanian studied classical guitar with Evangelos Assimakopoulos at the National Conservatory of Athens, Greece. He graduated in 1985, awarded with the first prize and special honors for exceptional performance. Subsequently, he broadened his knowledge by attending various seminars in Greece and abroad.
He started his musical performance journey by giving individual recitals in many cities in Greece and on television and radio programs. In addition, he performed as a soloist with almost all Greek symphonic orchestras (Athens State Orchestra, Thessaloniki State Orchestra, Symphonic Orchestra of Greek Broadcasting Corporation, the Orchestra of Colors, the Camerata Orchestra of Athens, etc.).
Presenting his first album in 1989, consisting of his own transcriptions of Armenian popular music, Kolanian toured in England, France, Italy, and Austria, while also being featured on BBC, Radio France, and the Austrian Television (ORF). His collaboration with the Symphonic Orchestra of Armenia and its conductor Loris Tjeknavorian resulted in the recording of “Zarhe,” a concert for guitar and orchestra, and the release of a CD – with the composer himself as the conductor, which Kolanian has performed in various cities all over the world.
All proceeds will go to charitable organisations in Armenia.
Pireos St. Annexe
138 Pireos & Andronikou St.
tel 210 345 3111
Saturday May 12, 2012 – 20:30
Thursday, May 10, 2012
- Experience Dialogue In The Dark Dialogue in the dark is an interactive exhibition which h...
- The Nutcracker At Olympia Theatre The "loveliest Christmas tale" is being re-staged during ...
- "We Go Out In Athens" - Every Tuesday On Tuesday, December 16, and for every Tuesday "We go out...
- Aurélien Bory & Le Groupe Acrobatique De Tanger Azimut In Morocco, they say Sidi Ahmed Ou Moussa, a great Sufi t...
- 4th Greek Jazz Panorama A unique music experience of coexistence between East and...
- Christmas Fun At Snow Land Snow Land at the Olympic Stadium in Athens is a magical c...