The Exaras / Villafranca Project at Beton 7
A major collaboration in the world of music has recently taken place in New York City between internationally acclaimed Cuban Jazz pianist Elio Villafranca and world-renowned Greek Classical Jazz guitarist Spiros Exaras. And what has emerged is the creation of a unique sound combining the passion of Cuba’s African Diaspora with the mysteries of Greek musical heritage in the Jazz experience of these two masters.
In these two unique performances on 27th and 28th of April at Beton7, the musicians will present this unique sound playing original songs of traditional Greek and Cuban music.
Over the last year, Elio's career has developed substantially with the international critical acclaim of his latest album, "The Source In Between" and performances in New York at Lincoln Center, the Blue Note, Caramoor Music Festival and a long list of European tour dates at clubs, concerts and major music festivals. In the course of this he’s worked with such Jazz legends as Wynton Marsalis, Pat Martino, Sonny Fortune, Eddie Henderson, Johnny Pacheco, Horacio "El Negro" Hernández and Lenny White, to name a few. Elio has also been honored by BMI with a Jazz Guarantee Award and recently received the first annual Heineken Green Ribbon Master Artist Grant to create a concerto for a Mariachi ensemble and symphonic orchestra.
Spiros’s credits include performances with eminent Greek composers such as M. Frangoulis, M. Theodorakis, E. Reboutsika, K. Hatjis and E. Andriopoulos and has performed and recorded internationally with such artists as Shirley Bassey, Randy Brecker, legendary Jazz singer Mark Murphy and Grammy Award winner David Valentin. He has also crossed over into pop music being the featured guitar soloist on Mariah Carey’s hit single “My All”. His recent CD “Phrygianics” was released by Blue Note Records to major critical acclaim, in addition to composing music for several films and theatrical plays.
7 Pydnas Str. 11855 Votanikos, beton7.com
April 27 & 28, 2012 at 21.30
Admission 20 euro
Source: Jazz Online
Thursday, April 26, 2012
- Coetáni - Experimental Flamenco Festival Coetáni festival aspires to become a new institution in t...
- Manu Dibango - 80th Birthday Tour! Dibango is Cameroon's, and perhaps Africa's, best-known j...
- Piano At Its Forte 2015 The concert series “Piano at its forte” continues for the...
- Crazy People Music The Crazy People Music guide us through the streets of Ja...
- Street Food And Tunes - Tennessee deBop celebrates the return of Vasilis Sporos, the chef w...
- Passport Project By Zp87 After 1.5 year of success of the PASSPORT project, we con...