Documentary - The Exiled-Erzurum/Askale
The Hellenic History Foundation (ID.IS.ME.) and the Michael Cacoyannis Foundation invite you to the screening of the history documentary “The Exiled-Erzurum/Askale”. In November 1942 Turkey imposed a capital tax, known as Varlik Vergisi. This crippling tax was introduced by the Turkish government of the time (Inonu-Saracoglu), bringing severe discrimination against its non-Muslim citizens (Greeks, Armenians and Jews).
All non-Muslims who could not pay this excessive tax were exiled to the interior of Turkey (Erzurum) where they were forced to work in labour battalions.
This documentary, based on the diary of Konstantinos Kiourktsoglou, records-for the very first time-the actual circumstances of this unfortunate chapter in contemporary history.
Α’ Award at the International Film Festival of Drama (September 2010).
The night opens with Eleni Letoni, Director of Hellenic History Foundation, in a short introduction regarding the work and the activities of ID.IS.ME.
As well as Irene Sarioglou, who prefaces the documentary screening with a reference to the historic context of the era, as well as a retrospect to the facts, introducing this way both the book and the documentary.
Directed by: Kalliopi Legaki
Script: Irini Sarioglou
Music: Eleni Karaindrou
Michael Cacoyannis Foundation
Address: 206, Piraeus Str. (near Chamosternas Str.) Tavros, Athens 177 78
Tel.: +30 210 341 8550
Fax: +30 210 341 8570
Thursday April 26 2012 - 19:00
Information and bookings at the Foundation's Box Office (Piraeus 206, Tavros) and over phone 210 3418579 Mon-Fri 11:00 - 14:00
Booking is necessary - Bookings will take place in turn of priority
Thursday, April 26, 2012
- See 'Committed' At The Athens International Film Festival! From Cyprus with love comes this combination of road movi...
- Dora Stratou’s Final 2014 Performance Dora Stratou’s, the leading showcase for Greek dance, wil...
- Maroussi Jazz Festival Come out and enjoy a unique jazz festival with some big n...
- The Athens International Film Festival Turns 20! The anniversary edition of the Athens International Film ...
- Vanessa Mae Concert The “Violin queen”, Vanessa Mae, will visit Athens on Sep...
- Ensemble Economique At Six D.o.g.s From the dark obsessive synth drone to the 4AD-tribute gu...