Documentary - The Exiled-Erzurum/Askale
The Hellenic History Foundation (ID.IS.ME.) and the Michael Cacoyannis Foundation invite you to the screening of the history documentary “The Exiled-Erzurum/Askale”. In November 1942 Turkey imposed a capital tax, known as Varlik Vergisi. This crippling tax was introduced by the Turkish government of the time (Inonu-Saracoglu), bringing severe discrimination against its non-Muslim citizens (Greeks, Armenians and Jews).
All non-Muslims who could not pay this excessive tax were exiled to the interior of Turkey (Erzurum) where they were forced to work in labour battalions.
This documentary, based on the diary of Konstantinos Kiourktsoglou, records-for the very first time-the actual circumstances of this unfortunate chapter in contemporary history.
Α’ Award at the International Film Festival of Drama (September 2010).
The night opens with Eleni Letoni, Director of Hellenic History Foundation, in a short introduction regarding the work and the activities of ID.IS.ME.
As well as Irene Sarioglou, who prefaces the documentary screening with a reference to the historic context of the era, as well as a retrospect to the facts, introducing this way both the book and the documentary.
Directed by: Kalliopi Legaki
Script: Irini Sarioglou
Music: Eleni Karaindrou
Michael Cacoyannis Foundation
Address: 206, Piraeus Str. (near Chamosternas Str.) Tavros, Athens 177 78
Tel.: +30 210 341 8550
Fax: +30 210 341 8570
Thursday April 26 2012 - 19:00
Information and bookings at the Foundation's Box Office (Piraeus 206, Tavros) and over phone 210 3418579 Mon-Fri 11:00 - 14:00
Booking is necessary - Bookings will take place in turn of priority
Thursday, April 26, 2012
- Experience Dialogue In The Dark Dialogue in the dark is an interactive exhibition which h...
- The Nutcracker At Olympia Theatre The "loveliest Christmas tale" is being re-staged during ...
- "We Go Out In Athens" - Every Tuesday On Tuesday, December 16, and for every Tuesday "We go out...
- Aurélien Bory & Le Groupe Acrobatique De Tanger Azimut In Morocco, they say Sidi Ahmed Ou Moussa, a great Sufi t...
- 4th Greek Jazz Panorama A unique music experience of coexistence between East and...
- Christmas Fun At Snow Land Snow Land at the Olympic Stadium in Athens is a magical c...