Documentary - The Exiled-Erzurum/Askale
The Hellenic History Foundation (ID.IS.ME.) and the Michael Cacoyannis Foundation invite you to the screening of the history documentary “The Exiled-Erzurum/Askale”. In November 1942 Turkey imposed a capital tax, known as Varlik Vergisi. This crippling tax was introduced by the Turkish government of the time (Inonu-Saracoglu), bringing severe discrimination against its non-Muslim citizens (Greeks, Armenians and Jews).
All non-Muslims who could not pay this excessive tax were exiled to the interior of Turkey (Erzurum) where they were forced to work in labour battalions.
This documentary, based on the diary of Konstantinos Kiourktsoglou, records-for the very first time-the actual circumstances of this unfortunate chapter in contemporary history.
Α’ Award at the International Film Festival of Drama (September 2010).
The night opens with Eleni Letoni, Director of Hellenic History Foundation, in a short introduction regarding the work and the activities of ID.IS.ME.
As well as Irene Sarioglou, who prefaces the documentary screening with a reference to the historic context of the era, as well as a retrospect to the facts, introducing this way both the book and the documentary.
Directed by: Kalliopi Legaki
Script: Irini Sarioglou
Music: Eleni Karaindrou
Michael Cacoyannis Foundation
Address: 206, Piraeus Str. (near Chamosternas Str.) Tavros, Athens 177 78
Tel.: +30 210 341 8550
Fax: +30 210 341 8570
Thursday April 26 2012 - 19:00
Information and bookings at the Foundation's Box Office (Piraeus 206, Tavros) and over phone 210 3418579 Mon-Fri 11:00 - 14:00
Booking is necessary - Bookings will take place in turn of priority
Thursday, April 26, 2012
- Jonathan Kreisberg Quartet At Gazarte The New Yorker guitarist and composer, Jonathan Kreisberg...
- Alexander The Great – Rock Opera “The story begins in Samothraki, a year before the birth ...
- Monica "Secret In The Dark" Monica presents her new album entitled "Secret In The Dar...
- IN EDIT Festival 2015 Athens Edition IN-EDIT Festival, the biggest music documentary film fest...
- Crazy People Music The Crazy People Music guide us through the streets of Ja...
- 4th African Film Week From February 19 to 25, 2015, the Greek Film Archive Foun...