Athenians Queue for 25 Tonnes of Free Vegetables
Hundreds of Athenians queued as early as 8 o’ clock in the morning yesterday at the park of Pedion tou Areos in downtown Athens in order to receive vegetables free of charge. The action initiated by farmers from Ierapetra, Crete, was to start at 10 a.m. However as the stunned donors saw people of all ages standing in line under the summer heat, they decided to start the distribution two hours earlier than planned. Priority was given to registered impoverished families living in the Athens municipality area.
However, other residents who also flocked to the park were allowed to take a box of vegetables home. Within three hours, 25 tonnes of vegetables were carried away by happy residents of Athens.
A total of 2,700 boxes each containing 10-12 kilos of aubergines, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers were handed out to the people.
The price of one box in the market would be approximately 12 to 13 euro.
Many of the beneficiaries told Greek media, that they are jobless or low pensioners. “My husband is without a job since 2008″ a woman told private Mega TV and another said “We’re hungry”. A third woman said she had a special needs child and that had not received social benefits for quite some time”.
Crete farmers wanted not only to launch a publicity action for their products but also to deliver a message of solidarity to debt-ridden Greeks.
The President of the agricultural co-operative “Anatoli” from Ierapetra stated that “we, farmers, send a message of solidarity to those Greeks who struggle to survive and cannot buy our products. We have the same problem and we have to help each other.”
Saturday, June 23, 2012
- Tsipras Unveils Coalition's First Bills, Due Next Week Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras set out on Friday his gover...
- PM Mulls Whether To Seek MPs' Support For Extension Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras is to decide in the next 48...
- Significant Gains For Athens Stock Exchange Tuesday The Athens Stock Exchange has opened with significant gai...
- Gov’t To Submit Final Reform List To Brussels Today The government was on Tuesday morning expected to submit ...
- Reform Proposals Ready For Creditors Greece's government prepared reform measures on Sunday to...
- Tentative Deal For Extension Agreed At Eurogroup