As Christopher Blake argues, if at worst no two historians can agree on what really happened, at best, agreement in one generation fails to survive the next. Understanding the absences and gaps with which history has been narrated and departing from a certain historical skepticism based on the idealist metaphysical account of knowledge as a process towards the Absolute, Stelios Karamanolis (b.1977) is driven almost by impulse to explore and map different historical scenarios.
Yet, his intention is far more than to confront us with shreds of images from the recent past. First and foremost, Karamanolis is concerned with challenging the way historical events express themselves in images today. How do we experience and perceive them? How do images influence the so-called collective memory of a nation? What images are eventually presented and which are ultimately withheld?
Until July 07, 2012
Tuesday-Friday: 11.00 - 15.00 and 17.00 - 20.00
Saturday: 11.00 - 16.00
CAN Christina Androulidaki Gallery
42 Anagnostopoulou str., Kolonaki, http://www.can-gallery.com/
Great Moments In History
History cannot simply be conceived in terms of past events, narratives and occurrences but also and primarily, as it relates to the present. The way we accumulate history unquestionably shapes the way we understand reality. But whose History are we talking about? What does it mean to us? How is it formed? Through which processes does it become official? And why does it matter?
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
- Daniel Egnéus’ Drawings Of An Everyday Walk In Athens Daniel Egnéus decided to do these drawings of Athens as a...
- Algis Kemezys' Born In Stone Internationally exhibited photographic artist Algis Kemez...
- Exhibition: Painting ΙΙΙ at Frissiras Museum Frissiras museum presents the exhibition “PAINTING III (2...
- Video: The Draconian Decision Of The German Drachma What would happen if Germany was poor and Greece was rich...
- Embracing Neolithic Couple Found In Diros Cave A rare Neolithic-era find of the skeletons of a couple em...
- Latest News On Strikes In Athens Greek workers and their unions have taken part in multipl...