Here, Emily Dickinson’s verse “the gift of screws” from her 1863 poem Essential Oils is what bundles together the sculptural combines, all titled in-between, before and during their making in a job that is as strategic as it is improvisational: Made to Measure, Vocabulary Builder, Where I Pour My Soup, Red Rate Rapid, Second Connection (all 2012).
How surprising that the word “screw” describing an object so plain and ordinary is also used in various grammatical combinations to denote sanity and insanity, sexual intercourse, salary, and swindling, among other usages. Kostas Sahpazis’s The Gift of Screws is a reverie objectified: a metonymy for the works in this show.
Andreas Melas & Helena Papadopoulos Gallery
26 Epikourou & 4, Korinnis str., http://www.melaspapadopoulos.com
May 30, 2012 till July 29, 2012
Tuesday-Friday: 12.00 - 18.00
Saturday: 12.00 - 16.00
The Gift of Screws
Kostas Sahpazis’s first solo exhibition is comprised of 13 new sculptures that let slip the possibilities of material expression. Moody, eloquent and lyrical, his table-top, suspended and wall pieces push forward and are then circling back through persistent ambiguities and irrational arrangements of forms and materials. His idiosyncratic use of leather, fabrics, steel, neon tubes, resins, paper, paint, latex, aluminum is the mainspring for the dialectical process that leads to a series of synecdoches- of the strangest kind.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
- Margaret Atwood: Dystopias And The Greek Influence On Them In collaboration with the Psichogios Publications and the...
- Want To Learn Greek Dancing? Dora Stratou has had a commitment to preserving the legac...
- 5th Athens Bike Festival Enjoy three days full of bikes in the heart of the city! ...
- Art Exhibition - Foretelling Myths This exhibition's theme is founded on the idea that predi...
- The Meet Market At six d.o.g.s. Alas, August is over and summer holidays slowly wind to a...
- Autumn Cultural Excursions The summer may be over but warm weather and holiday spiri...