Here, Emily Dickinson’s verse “the gift of screws” from her 1863 poem Essential Oils is what bundles together the sculptural combines, all titled in-between, before and during their making in a job that is as strategic as it is improvisational: Made to Measure, Vocabulary Builder, Where I Pour My Soup, Red Rate Rapid, Second Connection (all 2012).
How surprising that the word “screw” describing an object so plain and ordinary is also used in various grammatical combinations to denote sanity and insanity, sexual intercourse, salary, and swindling, among other usages. Kostas Sahpazis’s The Gift of Screws is a reverie objectified: a metonymy for the works in this show.
Andreas Melas & Helena Papadopoulos Gallery
26 Epikourou & 4, Korinnis str., http://www.melaspapadopoulos.com
May 30, 2012 till July 29, 2012
Tuesday-Friday: 12.00 - 18.00
Saturday: 12.00 - 16.00
The Gift of Screws
Kostas Sahpazis’s first solo exhibition is comprised of 13 new sculptures that let slip the possibilities of material expression. Moody, eloquent and lyrical, his table-top, suspended and wall pieces push forward and are then circling back through persistent ambiguities and irrational arrangements of forms and materials. His idiosyncratic use of leather, fabrics, steel, neon tubes, resins, paper, paint, latex, aluminum is the mainspring for the dialectical process that leads to a series of synecdoches- of the strangest kind.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
- MIRfestival 2014 The MIRfestival is an international contemporary art fest...
- Gallery Weekend 2014 In Athens The Hellenic Art Galleries Association, after the admitte...
- Libraries, Innovation And Entrepreneurship The 10th international conference: "Libraries, Innovation...
- Exhibition: Time Got Knicked Around Art Professionals-In-Athens Residency and Gerasimos Kappa...
- Latest News On Strikes In Athens Greek workers and their unions have taken part in multipl...
- The Meet Market At Romantso Remember, remember the 3rd weekend of November, because T...