The tension of the film is created by the personal idiosyncratic characteristics that build up each one of his actors into a contradictory, complex and layered individual. Like in a play, through a series of non-events, outbursts, meditations and again outbursts, he stages the uncontrolled psychological articulations of a cast of wounded, and wounding, adults.
The works on show will echo the sense of fragility that permeates Cassavetes’ narrative--be it affective, psychological or social. The overall show will reflect the mood of Faces, the intense feeling of alienation that in the film is covered--and at the same time revealed--by a mask, by the face.
Curator: Paolo Colombo
Co-ordinator: Marilena V. Karra
Works by the following artists:
John Cassavetes, Morton Bartlett, Samuel Beckett, Claude Cahun, Pierpaolo Campanini, Edy Ferguson, Dionisis Kavallieratos, Karolos Koun, Margherita Manzelli, Ilias Papailiakis, Ugo Rondinone, Lucas Samaras, Thomas Schütte, Cindy Sherman, Lorenzo Tenchini, Miroslav Tichý, Ryan Trecartin, Rosemarie Trockel, Lisa Yuskavage
Onassis Cultural Center
107-109 Syggrou Avenue, Athens, http://www.sgt.gr/
Every day from 12.00 till 21.00 until July 1, 2012
€8, €4 (students)
Faces at the Onassis Cultural Center
This exhibition explores the estrangement of the individual, caught between the self, the perception of the self, and society, and the feelings of solitude and spiritual alienation that ensue. John Cassavetes’ film Faces (1968) is the metaphor for this exhibition, a show that focuses on artists who address the uncomfortable and often dramatic relation between the self, one’s self-representation, and the other. In his film Faces, Cassavetes analyzes the isolation of the individual, and how this condition is reflected and expressed in the neurosis of the face.
Friday, April 27, 2012
- Free Greek Language Course The Dutch Association in Athens offers a free Greek langu...
- Days Of Christmas And New Year With “Encardia” Four unique events in the spirit of the season for young ...
- Amphipolis In Top 10 Discoveries Of 2014 The Tomb of Amphipolis is among the Top 10 Discoveries of...
- Latest News On Strikes In Athens Greek workers and their unions have taken part in multipl...
- Christmas Church Services & Carols Around Athens If you'd like to attend Christmas services and enjoy some...
- Meet Market "The Christmas Edition" Tis the season to be jolly... to gather with friends and ...