The tension of the film is created by the personal idiosyncratic characteristics that build up each one of his actors into a contradictory, complex and layered individual. Like in a play, through a series of non-events, outbursts, meditations and again outbursts, he stages the uncontrolled psychological articulations of a cast of wounded, and wounding, adults.
The works on show will echo the sense of fragility that permeates Cassavetes’ narrative--be it affective, psychological or social. The overall show will reflect the mood of Faces, the intense feeling of alienation that in the film is covered--and at the same time revealed--by a mask, by the face.
Curator: Paolo Colombo
Co-ordinator: Marilena V. Karra
Works by the following artists:
John Cassavetes, Morton Bartlett, Samuel Beckett, Claude Cahun, Pierpaolo Campanini, Edy Ferguson, Dionisis Kavallieratos, Karolos Koun, Margherita Manzelli, Ilias Papailiakis, Ugo Rondinone, Lucas Samaras, Thomas Schütte, Cindy Sherman, Lorenzo Tenchini, Miroslav Tichý, Ryan Trecartin, Rosemarie Trockel, Lisa Yuskavage
Onassis Cultural Center
107-109 Syggrou Avenue, Athens, http://www.sgt.gr/
Every day from 12.00 till 21.00 until July 1, 2012
€8, €4 (students)
Faces at the Onassis Cultural Center
This exhibition explores the estrangement of the individual, caught between the self, the perception of the self, and society, and the feelings of solitude and spiritual alienation that ensue. John Cassavetes’ film Faces (1968) is the metaphor for this exhibition, a show that focuses on artists who address the uncomfortable and often dramatic relation between the self, one’s self-representation, and the other. In his film Faces, Cassavetes analyzes the isolation of the individual, and how this condition is reflected and expressed in the neurosis of the face.
Friday, April 27, 2012
- OuiShare In Athens! OuiShare is a think and do-tank with the mission to empow...
- The CERN Exhibition Comes To Athens The impressive interactive exhibition ‘ Accelerating Scie...
- Conference On Learning Differences & Innovation Summit The institute for Innovation and Creativity at ACS Athens...
- Art Exhibition: A Thousand Doors NEON and the Whitechapel Gallery are collaborating to pre...
- Pixathlon Athens 2014 When was the last time you did something new? We always w...
- Art Exhibition: Chryssa & Chryssa An exhibition of two pioneering Greek women artists worki...