The tension of the film is created by the personal idiosyncratic characteristics that build up each one of his actors into a contradictory, complex and layered individual. Like in a play, through a series of non-events, outbursts, meditations and again outbursts, he stages the uncontrolled psychological articulations of a cast of wounded, and wounding, adults.
The works on show will echo the sense of fragility that permeates Cassavetes’ narrative--be it affective, psychological or social. The overall show will reflect the mood of Faces, the intense feeling of alienation that in the film is covered--and at the same time revealed--by a mask, by the face.
Curator: Paolo Colombo
Co-ordinator: Marilena V. Karra
Works by the following artists:
John Cassavetes, Morton Bartlett, Samuel Beckett, Claude Cahun, Pierpaolo Campanini, Edy Ferguson, Dionisis Kavallieratos, Karolos Koun, Margherita Manzelli, Ilias Papailiakis, Ugo Rondinone, Lucas Samaras, Thomas Schütte, Cindy Sherman, Lorenzo Tenchini, Miroslav Tichý, Ryan Trecartin, Rosemarie Trockel, Lisa Yuskavage
Onassis Cultural Center
107-109 Syggrou Avenue, Athens, http://www.sgt.gr/
Every day from 12.00 till 21.00 until July 1, 2012
€8, €4 (students)
Faces at the Onassis Cultural Center
This exhibition explores the estrangement of the individual, caught between the self, the perception of the self, and society, and the feelings of solitude and spiritual alienation that ensue. John Cassavetes’ film Faces (1968) is the metaphor for this exhibition, a show that focuses on artists who address the uncomfortable and often dramatic relation between the self, one’s self-representation, and the other. In his film Faces, Cassavetes analyzes the isolation of the individual, and how this condition is reflected and expressed in the neurosis of the face.
Friday, April 27, 2012
- Daniel Egnéus’ Drawings Of An Everyday Walk In Athens Daniel Egnéus decided to do these drawings of Athens as a...
- Algis Kemezys' Born In Stone Internationally exhibited photographic artist Algis Kemez...
- Exhibition: Painting ΙΙΙ at Frissiras Museum Frissiras museum presents the exhibition “PAINTING III (2...
- Video: The Draconian Decision Of The German Drachma What would happen if Germany was poor and Greece was rich...
- Embracing Neolithic Couple Found In Diros Cave A rare Neolithic-era find of the skeletons of a couple em...
- Latest News On Strikes In Athens Greek workers and their unions have taken part in multipl...