The tension of the film is created by the personal idiosyncratic characteristics that build up each one of his actors into a contradictory, complex and layered individual. Like in a play, through a series of non-events, outbursts, meditations and again outbursts, he stages the uncontrolled psychological articulations of a cast of wounded, and wounding, adults.
The works on show will echo the sense of fragility that permeates Cassavetes’ narrative--be it affective, psychological or social. The overall show will reflect the mood of Faces, the intense feeling of alienation that in the film is covered--and at the same time revealed--by a mask, by the face.
Curator: Paolo Colombo
Co-ordinator: Marilena V. Karra
Works by the following artists:
John Cassavetes, Morton Bartlett, Samuel Beckett, Claude Cahun, Pierpaolo Campanini, Edy Ferguson, Dionisis Kavallieratos, Karolos Koun, Margherita Manzelli, Ilias Papailiakis, Ugo Rondinone, Lucas Samaras, Thomas Schütte, Cindy Sherman, Lorenzo Tenchini, Miroslav Tichý, Ryan Trecartin, Rosemarie Trockel, Lisa Yuskavage
Onassis Cultural Center
107-109 Syggrou Avenue, Athens, http://www.sgt.gr/
Every day from 12.00 till 21.00 until July 1, 2012
€8, €4 (students)
Faces at the Onassis Cultural Center
This exhibition explores the estrangement of the individual, caught between the self, the perception of the self, and society, and the feelings of solitude and spiritual alienation that ensue. John Cassavetes’ film Faces (1968) is the metaphor for this exhibition, a show that focuses on artists who address the uncomfortable and often dramatic relation between the self, one’s self-representation, and the other. In his film Faces, Cassavetes analyzes the isolation of the individual, and how this condition is reflected and expressed in the neurosis of the face.
Friday, April 27, 2012
- Santorini Arts Factory: A New Cultural Venue The cultural life of Santorini island erupts again with t...
- Mobile Photo Exhibition - Green Project Org A mobile photo exhibition with Athens as its starting poi...
- Solo Art Exhibition: Wreckage Adrift "Concepts are intertwined with the processes employed in ...
- Kivotos Art Projects 2014 ontinuing its artistic activities on the island of Mykono...
- Painting Exhibition: Summer 2014 Zoumboulakis Gallery hosts a summer group exhibition from...
- ‘Boroume’ Campaign Seeks To Put Surplus Fruit To Good Use Orange trees lend splashes of color to her garden. Year a...